Saturday, May 26, 2012

B17) Perjury

I went to trail for possession of marijuana in a Maricopa County Court room in 1993. I was caught red-handed. I was arrested at Sky Harbor airport at the boarding gate. Forty pounds of weed in my luggage. My luggage was on board (in the cargo hold).

At trial a detective took the witness stand and lied about the events surrounding my arrest. When you take the witness stand and lie it is called perjury and punishable by up to five years in prison. An officer of the law took the witness stand and perjured himself in an effort to secure a conviction against me.
What was my legal response?

My public defender had arranged no legal response on my behalf. I was convicted.

What does it say about a legal system that requires or allows law enforcement to commit perjury in order to secure convictions?

The end does not justify the means.
Without the perjured testimony of an “officer of the law” I never would have been convicted. I was sentenced to ten and a half years for a non violent and victimless crime.

It is absurd to think my going to prison had any effect on the local marijuana business or any marijuana business.

No comments:

Post a Comment