Saturday, May 5, 2012

B1) My First Blog...

My first blog
My name is Chip Knight. I am a convicted marijuana trafficker having spent six years four months and three days in prison on two marijuana related convictions:
1. Conspiracy to Traffic 5.25 years (Pima County/Tucson)
2. Possession of Marijuana 10.5 years (Maricopa County/Phoenix)
I was in the trafficking business from 1984 to 1992
I was in the business of being a prison inmate #093602 in the Arizona Department of Corrections from 1992 to 1998.
The link below will take you to the Arizona Prison System inmate database. make sure you select "inactive" and type my D.O.C number in appropriate box.
Release from prison December 5th 1998 with no education other than my high school diploma and broke with no marketable job skills. I turned 39 the month after my release.
During the ten years following prison I put myself through college and grad school obtaining degrees in Computer Science CIS/MIS. I had an IT Consulting position (Network Engineer) working on a project for the Department Of Homeland Security and granted a security clearance. After renting rooms for years I was able to buy a house (Feb 2009).
I felt like I'd overcome all the obstacles I'd created. I was in shock at what I'd accomplished. I was astonished to see what really is possible after years in prison.
Is it possible to rebuild your life after prison? Yes. Absolutely. I know it's possible because I did it.
I did it and I am not a genius.
Creating a life after prison is more about a war of attrition but the word "war" has such a negative connotation. I did not set out to go to college after prison. Going to college was a move about parasitism. It was the logical choice considering the circumstances.
2007: I started a program teaching a basic computer skills class to inmates at a local minimum security prison. I actually got the warden of the prison to bus inmates to my computer lab down the street. This was a feat not easily accomplished.
Weeks after moving into my new home.
I was on my way to work riding my new VTX1800 when a car from the on-coming lane crossed over into my lane and hit me head-on.
My life was obliterated.
When you get hit head-on by a car while on a motorcycle it does not matter if you are wearing boots, gloves, helmet and leather jacket. When that collision happens everyone and everything gives way to the laws of physics along with the laws of chance.
 My life changed radically because of the accident. I began thinking about going back to prison.
 I needed a plan...

Who am I now?

No comments:

Post a Comment